How many times have you heard about the importance of self love? Maybe you no longer care about it because you keep on hearing and reading about it. But to tell you the truth, self love is very important.
Self love is being interpreted in a very wrong way. There’s a negative connotation roaming around this concept. But the truth is, self love is not selfish. Learning to love yourself in God’s way is about accepting ourselves, and taking good care of God’s gifts and blessings. God created us perfectly in His image and designed us just the way we are. And for that, I think it is imperative for us Christians to love ourselves because this is what God wants to happen.
Do you want some proof? Here are some bible verses about self love.
5 Bible Verse About Self Love
- “And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.’ This is the first commandment. And the second, like it, is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” – Mark 12:31
- “Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hope, always perseveres. Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away.” – 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 NIV
- “A new command I give you: Love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another.” – John 13:34
- “Whoever does not love does not know God because God is love.” – 1 John 4:8
- “I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well.” – Psalm 139:14
How to Love Yourself in God’s Way
Learning to love yourself could be hard. But if you will live your life with God, your faith will not be shaken. You will not fear what lies ahead. You will not be dismayed by what could go wrong. You will not feel alone and lost because God is with us. God has a good plan for us. God will always uphold us and strengthen us. God will always help us and remind us that we are loved because He is LOVE.
Love Yourself Because God Made You Responsible for Loving Yourself
Yes, you have read it right and clear. God made us responsible for us to become a good stewards of ourselves. He entrusted us with stewardship not just for our children and or spouse. God wants us to care for ourselves. We need to treat ourselves very well because after all, we do not own this life. God owns us. God is the absolute owner of all things.
Our life belongs to Him alone. With that being said, we have to be righteous in the sight of God and obey His command of loving ourselves not according to what we want or of satisfying our own pleasure, but of what’s right and just in the eyes of God.
Learning to Love Yourself is a Long Process
Like I’ve said, it is not easy to love yourself. Even if you have the strongest and unshaken faith, you will still find it hard at some point in your life most especially if you are dealing with lots of personal issues. But again, you have to remember that this is vital. It’s a long process and you have to start practicing the art of loving yourself to make everything a lot easier.
It’s also great to consider getting some help if you think that you cannot handle it alone. It’s not a bad move to reach out to someone. The important thing here is that we make a move to love ourselves because we matter, YOU matter, and God loves you very much.